Tuesday 13 June 2017

Punk


Punk
by Lex Grootelaar
Genre: Coming of Age

Short and entertaining, “Punk” pushes both the rules of writing and the dominant ideas and expectations of our society. Thrown into the world of punk rock in the early 1990s, this novel follows the intertwining lives of a wandering reject and the people he meets as he learns of his fathers’ unexpected death. It explores themes of social structure and religious indifference through the eyes of this disenfranchised man living from one high to the next. The story takes place over a few hot summer days in Edmonton, Alberta.


This coming-of-age story, although set in the 90's, is still very relevant to today. It explores a quest for God without religion. Written with bursts of stream-of-consciousness and first-person narrative, “Punk” is simultaneously an urban existential fiction and a mystery novel.



I started writing at a very young age but soon was more consumed with women, drinking and smoking. It was only when I realized that vice doesn't lead to virtue that I left childish things behind me and found myself back into the realm of writing, work, and love. It was in that aspect that the words started to flow. I have spent the past few years at study, spending my summers at work fueling aircraft for Alberta forestry, when I can break away I travel with my lovely and brilliant spouse.



Follow the tour HERE for exclusive excerpts, guest posts and a giveaway!







No comments:

Post a Comment